1. How is a statement that rigorous environmental regulations can promote efficiency and commercially competitive innovation (cf. Porter, 1995) categorized?
2. A scientist wants to know if one thing affects another; for example, if a certain chemical will affect the atmosphere or wildlife. In experimental research, the scientist will manipulate the first thing, the _____, to see if it affects the second thing, the _____.
a. independent variable; dependent variable
b. dependent variable; independent variable
c. research question; dependent variable
d. independent variable; control group
3. Suppose someone has invented a new device to test pollution of the air by a certain gas. This device yields the same results every time it is used in different places by different users. However, it turns out the device reveals pollution by a different gas than the one identified by the inventor. What is this new device?
a. Valid but not reliable
b. Both valid and reliable
c. Reliable but not valid
d. Invalid and unreliable
4. Which of the following Web sites includes a National Hurricane Center?
a. The EPA
b. The USGS
c. The NOAA
d. The NASA
5. Of the seven SI base units of measurement, which of these four is dependent on one of the others?
a. The second (time)
b. The meter (length)
c. The kilogram (mass)
d. Kelvin (temperature)
6. When converting from U.S. standard to SI/metric system units, which of the following is correct?
a. Miles convert to kilometers.
b. Feet convert to milliliters.
c. Miles convert to meters.
d. Inches convert to liters.
7. A researcher conducts a correlational study and concludes from the results that there is a strong positive correlation between two of the variables studied. What does this mean?
a. One variable causes the other to occur.
b. Both variables mutually cause each other.
c. There is no way to prove cause and effect.
d. The two variables occur together frequently.
8. In the image, the diagram on the left shows the age distribution of the U.S. population. The diagram on the right shows the age distribution of which country’s population
9. Which of the following represents an intentionally introduced invasive species?
a. Asian black rats worldwide
b. Kudzu in southeastern United States
c. Opossums on Sapelo Island
d. American tobacco in Europe
10. According to some definitions, which of these biological terms can subsume the others?