Questions 1-2 refer to the following poem, “For Each Ecstatic Instant” by Emily Dickinson,.
For each ecstatic instant
We must an anguish pay
In keen and quivering ratio
To the ecstasy.
For each beloved hour
Sharp pittances of years,
Bitter contested farthings
And coffers heaped with tears.
1. Which adjective best describes the tone of this poem?
2. What is the best synonym for coffers as it is used in this poem?
D. collection plates
3. Which of the following is NOT a prewriting technique?
4. What is the name for a noun or pronoun positioned beside another noun or pronoun to describe or identify it?
5. A(n) _____ modifier does not clearly or coherently describe a word or word group in an expression.
6. Which of the following authors wrote in Middle English?
A. Gustave Flaubert
B. Geoffrey Chaucer
C. Charles Dickens
D. Alexander Pope
7. Which of the following sentences is an example of understatement?
A. Ask me if I really care!
B. Who knew that grass stains could come out of those trousers?
C. World War II created some discomfort for the Roosevelt administration.
D. Henry ate a ton of French fries.
8. Which of the following genres includes works by the authors William Faulkner, Flannery O’Connor, and Eudora Welty?
A. Southern Gothic
C. Magical realism
9. What is the name for the purging of emotion cited by Aristotle as the fundamental purpose of literature?
10. Which of these metrical feet consists of an unaccented syllable followed by an accented one?