1. Sea and see, fair and fare, are called:
d. Twin words
2. Another name for a persuasive essay is:
a. Dynamic essay
b. Convincing essay
c. Argumentative essay
d. Position paper
3. In a group of 48 people, 1/3 claimed to be Christians, 3/16 were followers of Islam, 1/16 were Buddhists, 1/16 were Hindu, 1/48 were Sikh, 1/12 were traditional Native Americans and the remainder claimed no religious affiliation. The number of individuals in each group was:
a. 12, 4, 1, 3, 3, 9, 16
b. 16, 9, 3, 3, 1, 4, 12
c. 12, 1, 4, 3, 3, 9, 16
d. None of the above
4. The factors (x–3), (x–4) and (x+7) expand to give the equation:
5. How did Egypt’s geographical features most contribute to the stability of ancient Egyptian culture?
a. The Nile River regularly and predictably flooded, irrigating crops.
b. The expanse of the Nile River prevented Egyptians from settling elsewhere.
c. The Valley of the Kings divided Upper Egypt from Lower Egypt.
d. The Mediterranean Sea enabled contact between Egyptians and other ancient peoples.
6. How does the prevalence of ziggurats in ancient Mesopotamia illustrate a central factor of Mesopotamian culture?
a. Intended as lookouts, the number of ziggurats illustrates a Mesopotamian concern for security from invaders.
b. Used for stargazing, the number of ziggurats shows how Mesopotamian culture depended on astrology.
c. Dedicated to Mesopotamian rulers, the ziggurats illustrate the complete control Mesopotamian kings held over their subjects.
d. Structures dedicated to gods, the ziggurats illustrate the importance of religion in Mesopotamian culture.
7. If an astronomer observing the stars detects a blue shift, what could he conclude?
a. The star is moving farther away from him.
b. The star is moving closer or toward him.
c. The star is cooling down and becoming smaller.
d. The star is heating up and becoming larger.
8. Salts are made from a combination of what two types of elements?
a. A metal and a nonmetal
b. A nonmetal and an alkaline earth metal
c. A cation from a base and an anion from an acid
d. A metal and a halogen