July 28, 2015

PRAXIS II Art Content Knowledge Exam (5134)

The Praxis II Art: Content and Analysis Exam can give you the ability to teach art in around 40 states and United States territories. The computed based test is administered through a testing center. The Praxis II Art: Content and Analysis Exam, 5135, consists of 85 selected-response questions and three constructed-response questions. The selected-response questions count for 75 percent of the total score, and the constructed-response questions make up the other 25 percent. Testers have two hours to answer all of the questions.

The Praxis II Art: Content and Analysis Exam will test the prospective teacher’s art knowledge in the following categories: art marking, historical and theoretical foundations of art, and art analysis. Of the approximately 85 selected-response questions, the Art Making section will consist of around 55 questions and the Historical and Theoretical Foundations of Art will be around 30 questions.

The Art Making general section will ensure that the test taker knows and understands how to create and critique personal artwork, the elements of art and principles of visual organization, and various historical methods and contemporary approaches. The Art Making media and processes section will test whether the prospective teacher knows and understands safety, how to use a variety of materials and processes, how to use digital photography and image processes, processes for videography and filmmaking, how to use sculptural materials and processes, how to use fiber art materials, and the effective ways of presenting art work for display purposes. The Art Making section of the Praxis II Art: Content and Analysis Exam makes up about 48 percent of the total exam.

For the Historical and Theoretical Foundation of Art section, testers should demonstrate knowledge in four main areas: materials and processes in an art historical context, the western tradition in art history, art beyond the western tradition, and responding to art. This test section, worth approximately 27 percent of the Praxis II Art: Content and Analysis Exam, will include test questions concerning stylistic traits of art and architecture from each of the following time periods: Prehistory, Egypt, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, Early Christian, Byzantine, Medical, Renaissance, Baroque, and contemporary art. Testers should also be prepared to identify visual characteristics of art and architecture from Asia, Africa, the Americas, and the South Pacific region.

The three constructed-response questions will be divided between one 15-minute question testing historical and theoretical foundations of art and two 10-minute questions testing art making. Testers will be able to respond to a general topic by selecting and analyzing a relevant art historical example from memory. The work of art may be from any culture and art historical period. Finally, the test taker will write about two works of art that they have created in two different media. There is a requirement to upload photographs of these art works before taking the test, so be sure to check out the deadlines no later than three days before test day.

Each of the Praxis II Art: Content and Analysis Exam sections will be covered in the Praxis II Art: Content and Analysis Exam Practice Test and the Praxis II Art: Content and Analysis Exam Practice Questions. You will be more prepared for the Praxis II Art: Content and Analysis Exam by practicing with the Practice Test and Practice Questions.

PRAXIS II Art Content Knowledge Practice Questions